Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Ella's Kern Song Book: lost masterwork



I've come to this one late in life. Today was the first time I've ever heard this recording.

It was the next-to-last installment in the song book series, from 1963. It and the last (the Mercer) were one LP each, the briefest of the series. The concept was clearly running out of steam.

Oh yeah?

This is the great lost masterpiece of the series--I'd go so far as to call it one of the great lost masterpieces of American popular singing. The arrangements are by Nelson Riddle--some of his best, most unusual, gentle, understated, buoyant work, perfectly attuned to Ella's voice and style. All that work with her on the five-disc Gershwin set didn't go for naught.

One supreme example: A Fine Romance. Riddle scores this not unlike his famous chart of I've Got You Under My Skin for Sinatra, which is to say as a slow crescendo. It's a great comic song from Swing Time, as I'm sure you know, and Astaire and Rogers did it to a 'T' in the film. Ella's is totally off the map--it bears very little resemblance to the movie version, other than the lyrics and melody. Interpretively, it's a thing of such artistry (both subtle and grand) and majesty that you've got to hear it to truly appreciate it. Words, especially my feeble ones, can't begin to describe it.

MK

6 Comments:

At 1:40 AM, Blogger Smallman said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.

If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about laser hair removal houston. It pretty much covers laser hair removal houston and other similar topics available.

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your **keyword** blog by accident, great info keep it up. I will be checking back often now that I know you are here!

I have been running my own site about laser hair removal nyc for some time now and I am only just getting into blogging.

 
At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right on track and not many people are willing to admit that they share your views. atlantis city lost is an AWESOME place to discuss LOST.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Clickbank Mall said...

Come Visit Santa at his blog and tell him what you want for Christmas,

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger gaohui said...

The holidays are a time ed hardy of getting together with friends ed hardy shoes and family, attending elaborate ed hardy clothing parties, and other exciting events ed hardy clothes that involves dressing up in stunning ed hardy store wardrobes. If you ed hardy Bikini are pregnant during ed hardy swimsuits the holidays, it does not ed hardy Caps mean that you are unable buy ed hardy to look fabulous and ed hardy swimwear stylish. Now, an expectant ed hardy sale mother has many styles of chic ed hardy glasses maternity clothing that allows cheap ed hardy her to show off her baby bump Christian audigier while looking spectacular.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home